20 Apr Hotel Gutkowski
Area: Ortigia, Siracusa
Main features: Central, Close to the sea, Fine Restaurant, Rooftop terrace, and Sea View
Price per night: From € 75 to € 150
Great value – Great Location. Urban minimalism meats beachcomber chic at these lovely renovated 19th century Palazzi, located on Lungomare di Levante which runs along the eastern edge of the island heart of Siracusa in southeast Sicily.
At a Glance
- Seafront location
- Rooftop panoramic terrace with sea views
- Light, elegant, minimalistic and quirky design touches make for a cheerful ambiance
- The Gutkowskino – The Gutkowski’s very own in-house Bistro
- Free use of bicycles
- Free beach umbrellas
- Siracusa experiences and d-tours
The Hotel Gutkowski‘s is a unique gem positioned on the Lungomare di Levante seafront. It enjoys glorious sea views a few minutes’ walk from Ortiga’s historic food market. This is the old part of Siracusa – the intimate Graziella Quarter, where the beauty of the 13th century Arab Siracusa once resided, when baths, mosques and markets of the famous Maghreb ceramics were built.
The Gutkowski’s owner, Paola, has excellent taste with an eye for detail resulting in the lighthearted powder blue facades of these two 19th – century renovated palazzi on Siracusa’s old town’s seafront.
This charming hotel spreads out in two palazzi. The décor is generally simple with some eclectic touches. No room is entirely equal to another. All rooms are linear with superb simplicity and have been divided into three categories.
Basic Rooms are comfortable with plain and functional furniture. They are situated on the ground floor and have windows facing the inner courtyard or the charming alleys of Ortigia.
Classic and Plus Rooms are bright and airy. They are individually furnished creating a unique atmosphere and personality. Some have a balcony with sea views or of the picturesque town. Plus Rooms have been conceived to be particularly peaceful and relaxing with that little extra bed-size space and bathroom plus pleasing fabrics.
- Welcome aperitif or granita.
- The common areas are very homely, complete with books and magazines.
- The rooftop terrace with a view of the sea is perfect for relaxing, soaking in the sun and watching the boats go by at sea.
- The delicious buffet breakfasts offer a luscious spread of seasonal fruits, homemade jams, fresh cheeses, freshly baked bread, rich olive oil and sun-ripe tomatoes.
- It is good to know that although there are many eateries to choose from in Siracusa, the Gutkowski houses its very own bistro: The Gutkowskino. It that has become one of the locals’ favorite because of its easy, tasty Sicilian food with a modern twist! The Chef, Salvatore Storaci, creates the menu daily so you can choose from the blackboard.
- We do recommend the Gutkowski for guest with disabilities. There are lifts in both palazzi and rooms suitable for people with disabilities in each. Staff are friendly and accommodating with parking and access issues.
- Closest airport: Catania, 1h by car
- Closest town: the hotel is in Ortigia Town; Siracusa is only 8 minutes away; Noto is 40 minutes by car. The Vendicari Nature Reserve is 1h away by car.
- Closest beach: Ortigia’s beaches are nearby. It is a 20 minutes’ drive to Minaret Beach and Lido Arenella.
Prices in euros
- Prices are based on two people sharing and include breakfast.
General Hotel Information
- Central in Siracusa
- 26 rooms
- Lounge area
- Rooftop panoramic terrace
- Buffet continental breakfast
- In house Bistro
- Free use of bikes
- Free Wi-Fi throughout hotel
- Complimentary granita from June to September
- Free beach umbrellas
- Check-in from 15.00 to midnight
- Check-out from 07.00 to midday
- King-size bed
- Flat screen LCD TV
Things to do
- Cycling tours in and around the area
- Guided tour of Siracusa
- Culinary tour
- Half a day on boat with lunch or aperitif on Enrico’s ketch
- Vendicari Nature Reserve with guide
- Personal Yoga teacher